Countdown to Moving Day
EIGHT WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Obtain a floor plan of your new residence and decide what household items you want to keep.
- Begin an inventory of all household goods.
- Solicit estimates from several moving companies.
- Contact your insurance agent, and ask them about your home owners policy to determine whether your possessions are covered when moving.
- Establish a file for all moving papers and receipts.
- Arrange to transfer child(ren)’s school records.
- Choose a mover.
SIX WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Begin search for good health-care professionals in your new location.
- Fill out post-office change of address cards.
- Send your new address to anyone that might need it—insurance agents, credit card companies, magazine subscriptions, friends, relatives, etc.
- Clean out closets and dispose of all items that you will not be taking with you.
- Hold a moving /garage sale or donate items to charities.
FOUR WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Start packing!! If your mover is doing the packing please set aside or mark all/any times that will not be moved and ready items for packing by organizing drawers and elevating clutter
- Send furniture, drapes and carpets for repair or cleaning as needed.
- Begin to use up over stocks of staple foods.
- Gather valuable personal papers that you may need at your destination location, including medical and dental records, school records, birth certificates, etc.
- If necessary, reserve apartment elevator for pick up and/or delivery dates.
THREE WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Arrange to have utilities (gas, electric ,phone, cable, water, etc.) disconnected in your present home, and connected at your new home.
- Ready car registration and insurance records for transfer.
- Notify State Motor Vehicle Bureau of your new address.
- Arrange for child care on moving day.
TWO WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Arrange to move pets.
- Check with mover about moving house plants.
- Make arrangements for live plants as they can not be taken on the moving truck
- If necessary, have your automobile serviced and ready for the trip.
ONE WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Transfer all bank accounts.
- Cancel newspaper delivery.
- Have enough medication to last at least two weeks. Have prescriptions forwarded to a pharmacy at your new destination.
- Make arrangements to pay for your move.
- Withdraw items and close safety deposit boxes.
TWO DAYS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Defrost and dry refrigerators and freezers to be moved.
- Set aside valuable items to carry with you including jewelry, vital documents, money and valuable small items.
- Be on hand to answer questions and give directions to movers and stay until they are finished.
- Accompany driver for inventory of your household goods.
- Complete information on bill of lading and carefully read the document before you sign it.
- Make sure you have your copies of the Bill of Lading.
- Before the van/truck leaves, take one final look through the house to make certain nothing has been left behind.
- Give the driver directions to your new home and or any special requests prior to leaving your fist location.